Call Now For A Consultation! (937) 505-3600

Michael T. Edwards, Attorney at Law, LLC

Call Now For A Consultation! (937) 505-3600

  • By: Michael T. Edwards, Esq.
  • Published: July 31, 2020

Sometimes, a court case doesn’t go the way you want it to. While you might assume that that’s it, and you simply have to accept the loss (along with potential charges), there may still be hope. You may be able to file an appeal against either the jury’s verdict or the judge’s order.

However, there has to be grounds for an appeal. You can’t simply file an appeal because you are unhappy with the verdict. An appeal can only be filed if you believe the results of the case were due to an error, misinterpretation of the law, or a reliance on faulty evidence.

At this point, you’ll want to act quickly. You have a limited number of days to file. The exact amount can depend on the type of case, as well as your location. Once filed, you will enter the world of appeals court (also called appellate court).

Appeals court is different from trial court. The purpose is to look for “errors of law”. Typically, no new evidence will be introduced, nor will new witnesses be called. Also, there is no jury. Instead, there are multiple judges.

Ultimately, it becomes an argument between both sides of whether the law was correctly applied or not. As much as a standard trial invokes the nuances of the law, an appeal can dive even deeper. This is all the more reason why you need to make sure you have a knowledgeable, experienced attorney by your side.

If you lose your appeal, you will likely have no further options available.

Can I Change Lawyers For An Appeal?

If you believe that justice wasn’t properly found in the initial hearing, it’s natural to consider a new attorney. When looking to appeal a decision, it is within your legal rights to change attorneys. In fact, it could be in your best interest, depending on how capable your previous attorney has shown themselves to be.

If you have recently lost a case in Ohio, and you’re wondering what your options are, Michael T. Edwards may be able to help. We provide efficient, effective service at an affordable rate. For a Springfield attorney who is ready to fully represent your rights, contact Michael T. Edwards today!

Michael T. Edwards

Call Now For A Consultation!
(937) 505-3600