Arrested For DUI In Springfield, OH: What Should I Do?
Suppose you are pulled over because you are suspected of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. You may be:
- Forced to appear in court.
You still have rights even if your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is over the legal limit. After being pulled over, you should:
- Remain silent—do not provide a statement or sign anything until your Springfield DUI defense lawyer arrives.
- Ask for an attorney—make sure the police officer knows and understands you want an attorney.
Additionally, you have optional rights, including:
- Refuse a chemical test–breathalyzer, urine, or blood test if they do not have a warrant.
- Refuse to answer any incriminating questions–answer basic information questions but nothing more.
Expertly handling DUI cases for over 15 years, contact DUI defense lawyer Michael Edwards to represent you on your case. Schedule your free initial consultation.
Springfield, OH DUI Charges & Penalties
Springfield DUI defense lawyer Michael Edwards will review the prosecutor’s evidence and seek your side of the story. Depending on the information gathered, more investigation work would be required to seek witnesses or hire an expert to testify.
Even if the evidence against you seems challenging to overcome, you must understand the potential penalties you may face if convicted.
- First DUI offense—3 days to 6 months in jail, fines of $375-$1,075, license suspension of 6 months to 3 years, and cannot obtain limited driving privileges within 15 days of conviction.
- Second DUI offense—10 days to 6 months in jail, fines of $525-$1,625, required to attend an alcohol treatment program, license suspension between 1 and 5 years, cannot obtain limited driving privileges for 45 days, vehicle immobilized for 90 days, required to use yellow plates, and ignition interlock device.
- Multiple DUI offenses—30 days to 1 year in jail, fines of $850-$2,750, required to attend alcohol treatment, license suspended for 2 to 5 years, cannot obtain limited driving privileges for 180 days, revoked vehicle registration, and obligation to use yellow license plates.
Potential Consequences Of A Springfield DUI
Getting a conviction for a DUI can affect other aspects of your life for many years. The penalties can significantly affect your quality of life in the long run. Some areas that may be affected by a DUI conviction include:
- College admissions;
- Security clearances;
- Military enlistment;
- Professional licenses;
- Child custody;
- Increased insurance rates;
Why Hire A Springfield, OH DWI Lawyer?
You must have an experienced lawyer for suspension of license like Michael Edwards on your side. The potential consequences of a guilty verdict can be severe. DUI lawyer Michael Edwards employs common tactics to have your case dropped or negotiated to reduce the penalties and fines you may face. Expertly handling DUI cases for over 15 years, DUI defense lawyer Michael Edwards is ready to take on your case.
For more information on DUI Charges, schedule your initial consultation. Get the legal answers you seek by calling (937) 999-3883.