Call Now For A Consultation! (937) 505-3600

Michael T. Edwards, Attorney at Law, LLC

Call Now For A Consultation! (937) 505-3600

  • By: Michael T. Edwards, Esq.
  • Published: July 9, 2016

Drinking and driving is a serious issue that can result in many unfortunate things happening. This is especially true when it results in an accident involving another party.

For those who are involved in an accident while driving under the influence, here is what you need to know.

You’ll Still Receive The Standard DUI Charges

Whatever the incident may be that takes place, you will face the charges for a DUI in your state in addition to whatever other charges you might experience. The severity of those charges depends on both what state you live in and whether or not you’ve had a DUI before.

In Ohio, a first offense can get you jail time ranging from 3 days to 6 months, a license suspension of at least 6 months, and fines up to $1000. Additional offenses get much more severe with your license being taken away for multiple years, jail time increasing, and fines increasing as well.

By your 4th offense, you can lose your license forever. Also, by the fourth offense, your DUI is now considered a felony. This will result in you receiving yellow license plates, an ignition interlock device, and you’ll have to attend mandatory treatment.

For those who get their license back, they can expect their car insurance to go up significantly.

Needless to say, getting a DUI is bad news. Unfortunately, it can get much worse.

What Happens If I Cause An Accident?

If you hit someone else’s car and/or injure someone while driving intoxicated, there’s a very good chance you’ll be sued. This means you’ll now be facing criminal and civil courts. And since you were driving under the influence, it’s likely you’ll lose.

If the injured person’s claim is more than what your insurance policy covers, you’ll have to pay the rest out of pocket.

What Someone Dies Due To My Drunk Driving?

If someone dies in an accident caused while you were driving intoxicated, you’ll be facing some serious charges. Depending on the state you live in, and your personal history, you could receive anything from a manslaughter charge to second or third degree murder charges.

What Do I Do Now?

If you’re involved in a drunk driving accident, one of the most important things for you to do is get proper legal representation. It’s likely you need an attorney who can handle both criminal and civil law. At Michael T Edwards, our team is experienced in drunk driving cases on both sides of the law.

Contact us today for a consultation with an attorney in Springfield, Ohio.

Michael T. Edwards

Call Now For A Consultation!
(937) 505-3600